Saturday, April 26, 2014

Vintage Cellar Tasting 4/24/14

Name: Yealands Estate
Variety: Sauvignon Blanc
Region: Seaview Vineyard
Country: New Zealand
Year: 2008
Price: $21

Winery review: This aromatic wine shows lifted flavours of blackcurrant with underlying notes of wet stone and thyme. The palate is elegant yet full with sufficient weight and texture, balanced by a flinty minerality. This wine is a fantastic match with foods such as cheese salad, poultry dishes and a wide range of seafood dishes including freshly shucked natural oysters, prawns, green lip mussels and creamy scallops.

My review: The dark color of the bottle masked this white color wine. The wine's aroma had some aspects of fruit with a mix of earthiness and dirt. This wine had a strong acid component and I could taste the mineral flavors. 

                                                                I tasted this on its own with no food.

Name: Angove
Variety: Viognier
Region: South Australia
Country: Australia
Year: 2009 Vintage
Price: $15

Winery review: Bright light straw in colour with some green hues, this wine has a lush ripe tropical fruit aroma. This is a fuller bodied white which fills the mouth with heady flavours of apricot, peach and citrus.  Angove Nine Vines Viognier is perfect for today's relaxed life-style and is the ideal accompaniment to grilled prawns with chilli and garlic or roast pork.

My review: The second white wine was a more colorful. This wine had a nice fruity smell that I enjoyed. I also enjoyed the tastes of pear and peaches. It was not too strong for my tastes.

I tasted this on its own with no food.

Name: Librandi Ciro
Variety: Rosso Classico
Region: N/A
Country: Italy
Year: N/A
Price: $14

Winery review: Don’t let the pale garnet color fool you:  this is a substantial wine.  Aromas of red fruits and spice complement undertones of cranberries, wild berries, and plums.  On the palate, ripe tannins and good body make for an incredibly rich, yet easygoing red wine.  Pair this wine with sausage, spicy curry sauces, hot soppressata, and tandoori chicken.

My review: The color of this wine was a light ruby red. It had a fruity smell, but the smell and taste of spices wasn't pleasing to me. It had too much tannin component for my taste.

I tasted this on its own with no food.

Name: Ironstone
Variety: Old Vine Zinfandel
Region: Lodi, California
Country: USA
Year: 2011 Vintage
Price: $15

Winery review: Grown in vineyards that are over 45 years old, this medium-bodied Zin has exceptional varietal character with lovely aromas of dark fruit and blackberry. Subtle pepper spice mingles with richly concentrated fruit flavors of blackberry, ripe plums and fresh red raspberries. Barrel aging created its smooth, silky finish and unprecedented depth.  A wonderful wine pairing for variety of dishes. Any type of meat - whether its pork, beef or game - is ideal with this wine. Cioppino is another amazing complement or try it with tomato-based pastas, hearty stews or a plate of strong, aged cheeses.

My review: This darker color wine had some fruit aromas that I couldn't recognize. Once again, the spices were present, which is not in my taste. I could taste the oak from the barrel and a tiny hint of plum.

I tasted this on its own with no food.

Name: Rosemount Estate
Variety: Moscato
Region: N/A
Country: Australia
Year: 2012
Price: $12

Winery review: Clear, medium-lemon yellow in appearance; lovely citrus and honeysuckle aromas with lemon, honeysuckle, apple and ripe yellow plum flavours.  Serve chilled with angel food cake or fresh fruit and mild cheeses.

My review: So far, all of the Moscatos I have tried suited my palate. This light, clear white wine smelled of oranges and lemons. I really enjoyed the apple flavors.

I tasted this on its own with no food.

No comments:

Post a Comment