Sunday, April 27, 2014

Palisades Dinner (Spanish) - 4/16/14

Wine Around the World with a Hop - Every Wednesday, the Palisades restaurant has a wine tasting dinner. This week, the theme was Spanish and Southwestern Mediterranean. I decided to take my brother and his girlfriend, who go to college in Salem, to Palisades for my birthday dinner. While they are still underage, I enjoyed the experience and had a couple of designated drivers. On the way, there were several times I thought we were lost. I had never been to Eggleston and the winding drive in the woods was not helping. When we finally found the restaurant, the sun was beginning to set and I was not expecting this small building in the middle of nowhere. To the left is a picture I took while walking in - my brother and his girlfriend (red sweatshirt) can be seen in the reflection!









We were amazed by the beauty of this restaurant. It was a hidden gem that was literally hidden in the boondocks. There were so many interesting artifacts decorating the walls. The checks were served in old mason jars and the atmosphere was nice. My brother's girlfriend loved their homemade iced tie with hints of honeysuckle - she even asked the waitress for the recipe. To the right, she snapped a photo of the centerpiece as I was reviewing the Wines Around the World menu. 









The following three pairings were presented (as shown from left to right): The first pairing was of Sea Scallop Carpaccio with White Burgandy and Terrapin Rye Pale Ale. In the middle, Goat Cheese Raviolo was paired with Rose and Pale Ale. Finally, Duck Sausage was served with Bonarda and Hobgoblin Dark Ale.













The first wine I tasted was the Domaine Vercheres Macon Village. This White Burgundy from France was described as "a flowery, fruity and flinty Chardonnay with a brilliant hue. It has a crisp, medium body and a clean, lean acidity. It is a perfect accompaniment to full flavored fish dishes and charcuterie or as an aperitif".  To me, the aroma was very hot and the alcohol was obvious. However, the taste did not have the same hotness. It did have some hints of fruit to the taste, but all and all not a very rememberable wine. It was paired with Sea Scallop Carpaccio Shaved Fennel and Sherry Gastrique. The scallops did not have much flavor even with the sauce, but I am not a big seafood person to begin with. They paired smoothly together, but neither were potent enough to excite me. The Terrapin Rye Pale Ale that was added was described as follows: "By using an exact amount of rye, a grain seldom found in other micro brewed beers, the Rye Pale Ale acquires its signature taste. Made with five varieties of hops and a generous amount of specialty malts, it offers a complex flavor and aroma that is both aggressive and well balanced - a rare find among beers." I am not a drinker, a least of all a beer drinker. However, I actually enjoyed this beer; it was the only drink I finished. It had a light beer taste, which is the only kind I can stomach. 





Next on the list was the Protocolo Rose from Spain described as "50% Tempranillo, 50% Bobal grown in La Tierra de Castilla in La Mancha in central Spain, this rosado is the easy drinking rose made by the talented Eguren family - famous for a number of estates. Tempranillo imparts the ripe fruit we love but it's the Bobal (incidentally among the grapes with the highest levels of resveratrol) that bears its fresh scents and juicy acids - yielding a rose with notes of raspberry, strawberry and citrus fruit all coming together into a fresh glass of wine." This was my favorite wine of the three. The aroma was very fruity and had a bit of a spicy tart taste. The Goat Cheese Raviolo with Crispy Lamb Bacon and Baby Peas, however, was my least favorite dish. I do not like goat cheese and this proved to be very strong in flavor. The wine did become a bit less tarty with the ravioli, but the dish was not any better. The Anderson Valley Summer Solstice Pale Ale was "slightly sweet, malty session beer with a creamy mouth feel and clean finish. With hints of caramel in the nose and a touch of spice, it's become affectionately known as cream soda for adults. The unique flavors and superior drinkability make for the ultimate refreshment on a hot summer day." This was my favorite of the three beers, close with the first. I had less alcohol smell and taste than the first. However, when paired with the Chicken Alfredo Pizza my brother order, it was not at all pleasing.






Lastly, the Ksana Bonarda was the only wine not from the Mediterranean  hailing from Argentina. "The bouquet is floral and lightly jammy, with berry aromas and a savory note or two. To the uninitiated, this is a great introduction to Bonarda. Finishes solid. Very sweet, berry smell with some rooty undertones. Kind of dry, makes your lips pucker." From this description, the wine seems like my cup of tea, but it was not. The smell and taste of dirt out shown the fruit flavors and I did not enjoy this red. The Cremini Mushroom with Tarragon Duck Sausage was the best plate. I really enjoyed the duck sausage, but the mushroom was too slimy. I really did not like the wine, so the pairing of these did nothing for me. The Wychwood Brewery Hobgoblin Dark Ale was also my least favorite. This beer is said to be "traditionally craft brewed with chocolate and crystal malts and a blend of Styrian, Goldings & Fuggles hops to produce a full-bodied, Ruby beer that delivers a delicious chocolate toffee malt flavor, balanced with a rounded moderate bitterness and an overall fruity, mischievous character." I did not get any chocolate from this beer. It was much stronger than the others and the dark ale quality is not my thing.








Of all the options, I most enjoyed the Rose, Duck Sausage, and the pale ales. It would have been more enjoyable if I had brought some drinkers along with me, but we all enjoyed our evening. Even though I did not enjoy the majority of the dishes, I am always up to trying new things. I really enjoyed this visit and hope to return before I leave Blacksburg in May. 

No comments:

Post a Comment