Sunday, May 4, 2014

Family Wine Dinner


For my uncle's 71 and my grandmother's 92 birthdays, we went out to Frankie's Place for Ribs in Virginia Beach. I came home to surprise my grandmother for the weekend. As seen in the picture, I was joined by two of my aunts and uncles, my mother, and my grandmother from left to right. Since it is a "place for ribs', that is what most of my family ordered. However, I am not a fan of barbecue. I opted for a steak and potatoes with green beans.












They did not have a large selection of wines, but I wanted to try a Merlot. Their Columbia Crest was described as "a full bodied red wine with aromas of raspberry, cinnamon, blackberry and coconut, perfect with beef and pork." When I received the glass, I noticed the dark ruby color of the wine. It had a strong spicy finish that I was not a fan of. The initial flavor, however, was soft and fruity. It was also mostly dry.









As an appetizer, my uncle ordered an onion loaf, which was the first thing I tried. The wine did not pair well with the onion's spicy Catalina dressing - it made the spices even stronger. As the night went on, the wine began to open up and became less hot and more drinkable. When my meal came, I was able to taste the wine with the steak. It was a decent pairing, but the wine was still spicy and tarty. I tried one of my grandmother's ribs with the wine. This was the best pairing - it made the ribs sweeter.










As per tradition, we rapped up the dinner and headed home for birthday cake as desert. My uncles were intrigued by the fact that I am taking this wine class and tried to impose their favorites on me. On opened a bottle of his "favorite" wine - Riunite Lambrusco - he is mostly a beer drinker. I actually enjoyed this a lot as I do not yet enjoy the old world red tastes. This light and fruity red was easily drinkable and was sweet enough to go with the cake.













As always, I really enjoy eating out with my family. The night was very enjoyable and I am glad I came home to see my grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment