Sunday, May 4, 2014

Wine Tasting - 5/3

Name: Sutter Home
Variety: Riesling
Region: California
Country: USA
Year: 2010
Price: $7

Winery review: "A pure delight to drink, our Riesling wine exhibits floral fragrances, rich ripe melons, and summer peaches. Like a golden sunset, this wine will put you in the perfect mood at the end of the day. Take fresh scallops sautéed in butter, top with fresh herbs, and pour away."

My review: This is a wine that I just grabbed off the Kroger shelf because it sounded like my taste. I definitely like the sweetness of Rieslings and this wine had good floral and fruit components. However, it was still too hot for me. The acid and alcohol tastes were coming through just a little too much.

I tasted this on its own with no food.

Name: Yellow Tail
Variety: Chardonnay
Region: Yenda
Country: Australia
Year: 2012
Price: $10

Winery review: "Rich tropical fruits with a creamy finish. This wine is soft yet fresh with balanced acidity and lingering melon flavors on the tongue."

My review: I also grabbed this off the shelf because of its description. I did not like this Australian Chardonnay. I usually prefer whites, but this was extremely acidic and overwhelmed any fruits that may have been present.

I tasted this on its own with no food.
Name: Yellow Tail
Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon
Region: Yenda
Country: Australia
Year: 2012
Price: $10

Winery review: "Blackberry, chocolate and luscious vanilla aromas. This full-bodied wine shows bold fruit flavors and mild spice."

My review: This is a wine my roommate bought. I normally do not like big reds. However, this Cabernet Sauvignon was balanced well and I could taste the berries. The tannins were still present, but not overbearing. 

I tasted this on its own with no food.
Name: Chateau Morrisette
Variety: Blackberry Wine
Region: Meadows of Dan, VA
Country: USA
Year: 2013
Price: $8.79

Winery review: "Winemakers at Château Morrisette just couldn’t leave well enough alone. Not content with only grapes, they have crafted a delicious new fruit wine from summer’s bounty of sun-ripened blackberries. One of life’s simple pleasures here in our little part of paradise. Sweet and smooth, our Blackberry Wine is packed with the vibrant fruitiness of succulent, sun drenched berries. This all-natural wine may contain a harmless sediment."

My review: This is another wine my roommate brought home. I have never tasted a wine not made from grapes. I really enjoyed the strong fruit flavors, but the alcohol level was too high for me.

I tasted this on its own with no food.


Name: Beliveau Estate Sunset Sipper Reserve
Variety: American Zinfandel
Region: Blacksburg, VA
Country: USA
Year: 2011
Price: $24

Winery review: "Sunset Sipper is a fabulous, full body experience Zinfandel. From your head to your toes, there is enjoyment to be had from this wine! Sunset has a full nose with ripe dark berries and fig. The palate is complete, covering the whole mouth and throat with rich flavors, velvety texture, and a smooth finish. Even with 16.1 % alcohol, this wine is well balanced due to the presence of 4% residual sugar. It is a "sweet" wine that drinks as if it were dry! Perfect for beef, strong cheeses, tomato sauces, and sitting by the fireplace or watching the sun set."

My review: This is the last bottle my roommate picked out. It is one of the more expensive wines I have tried. I do like Zinfandel even though it is red. It had a high alcohol content, but it did not feel as hot as it said on the bottle. The sweetness factor was definitely present which I enjoy.

I tasted this on its own with no food.

No comments:

Post a Comment